Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Day 14- Another Appointment

It's been 2 weeks since my surgery and I'm healing as expected. Today I drove 30 miles to see my OS and he removed most of my stitches and put some new bands on. I now have 4 extra strong bands right in the front of my mouth. At least before 2 of them were hidden! Now even at the slightest crack of my mouth you see a large mass of bands... Hopefully they will come off next week. On a better note, my OS also said that I could start eating soft foods, like hot cereal and scrambled eggs. I don't think I'm ready for it yet just because I'm afraid of using my new jaw! When he took the bands off to change them, he told me to open as wide as I could. My jaw kind of plopped down because I have no strength in it anymore. It feels really stiff when I open about an inch or so. I guess with everything, it'll just take time before I can open all the way again.

I'm eating like crazy right now and for some reason I'm not gaining any weight. I've been throwing back blended healthy choice soup, squash, applesauce, ice cream, blended turkey, and my usual shakes. My syringe is getting so much use that it's starting to fall apart (really!) I think tomorrow I'm going to try something new that involves a little more than just drinking it down. Maybe some cream of wheat or oatmeal if I'm careful.

My teeth feel as if they all have cavities. They really ache and sting all at the same time. It kind of feels like post ortho adjustment/paper cut between the teeth. If I breath through my mouth for any reason, they REALLY start to hurt. I know I don't have cavities so I can only imagine that the nerves are growing back. My teeth have been very clean lately because I've been brushing 3-4 times a day and I've been taking the rubber bands off to do so. This is like a 15 minute process every time I do it, but I think it's well worth it if I can have squeaky clean teeth.

3 comments:

amycq said...

I found when I started to eat 'regular' soft foods again that using baby spoons really help! I got a four pack at wallmart and they were a god-sent! I couldn't open my mouth very wide either and getting my top lip to scoop the food off a spoon was impossible. The small spoons were easy to get into my mouth and then flip upside down so my tongue could do all the work. It really helped!

Patrick said...

That's actually a really good idea! I'm not quite into soft foods yet, but now I have any idea on how to get it into my mouth. It's just a pain to get anything in my mouth these days, because of all the rubber bands. It's not a big pain to take them off, but trying to put them back on! UGGHH! :-)

amycq said...

I had three rubber bands on for week 2 and 3. One of my hooks came loose so I had to ditch one band myself. Then when I went back in to see the OS he checked out my bite a few times and decided we could ditch the rest of them! I was so happy! But he said the orthodontist might put other ones on later...but I don't think it will be right smack dab in the front of my mouth like before!! At least I hope not!