Friday, September 14, 2007

Day 31- PAIN!!!!

Today, I had the worst appointment ever. Last week I was told to stretch my jaw and move it side to side. I thought I was doing a good job. I didn't know, however, that he wanted me to really STRETCH the muscles. I saw him today and I thought things would go smoothly. He told me to open and I did willingly. If I would have known what was coming I would have kept my mouth shut. Without warning, Dr. K started torquing on my jaw, saying, "It's necessary!" Out of pure reflex, I grabbed his arm and squeezed his wrist with super-human strength. It felt like my jaw muscles were tearing and it felt as if my bottom jaw would just snap right off my face. I mean, I had more pain today than I had during this whole experience and I've been through a lot. After my startled surgeon let go of me, he said that I needed to stretch more and more everyday, otherwise my muscles could "scar" and my mouth might never open as far as it should. I wish he would have told me about that last week!! I would have concentrated a lot harder if I would have known that... I felt pretty bad for what I did to him after he told me that, but I wish he would have told me that he was going to pry my tender mouth wide open. It totally caught me off guard. I told him I was sorry and he said that this stuff happens all the time and left the room while rubbing his squashed wrist.

For the rest of the day, I've had a queasy stomach and I felt like throwing up a few times. I told Dr. K that I would work on stretching my jaw myself, but now every time I touch it I feel sick. I still have a week to prove that I can accomplish my goal, but I'm really going to have to work hard at this. I haven't heard of anyone else going through this- Am I the only one facing this challenge?!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

omg that sounds horrible
I am 24days post op and I can't open my jaw up that wide so now I am petefried lol Sorry you had to go through that