Sunday, September 9, 2007

Day 26- Life Moves On...

I've been so busy this week that I haven't had much time to go on the internet. I'm starting to apply for jobs now and I'm also going to school 5 days a week. I'm beginning to fall back into my old lifestyle. No more fun and games!

My jaw is getting better, but so slowly! I can open my mouth a little more and I'm moving it side to side. I'm still eating pureed foods because with my numb gums, I really can't chew (it feels so weird!) I can't wait to start doing some serious exercising because I want to put the protein powder I'm eating to good use! I think right now the powder is just maintaining my muscle mass... I gained a few pounds this week; I'm up to 187 pounds. I'm still getting aching pains in my jaw muscles, but with my regular dose of Tylenol/ibuprofen it keeps the pain at bay. The one thing that annoys me is the swelling in my face. I still feel really puffy and it's almost 4 weeks post-op!

I went to my OS on Friday and he said my bite looks amazing. The 4 rubber bands at the front of my mouth did their job and all gaps are closed. He left two bands towards the front and put 2 in back, I guess to just keep everything in place? I asked him about the splint and he said either next week or the week after that. I told him that I wasn't in a hurry to get it off and he agreed that it was a good idea to leave it on as long as possible. I'm thinking 6-7 weeks just to make sure :-)

On a side note- It's so weird finding all the little things that have changed on my "new" jaw. For one, I can't stick my tongue through the gap that I once had. I also can't breath out of my mouth anymore unless I open it! The teeth are so perfectly tight that it really restricts the airflow :-) Finally, I'm noticed the roof of my mouth has dropped dramatically. I used to have a pretty deep palate and now my tongue feels claustrophobic it's so low! I love the fact that I breath entirely out of my nose now, because before I was more of a mouth breather. Maybe my deep palate had something to do with that?

1 comment:

amycq said...

I noticed that too! I used to be able to stick my tongue out even when I was biting down due to my open bite, now I can't! And my lips are actually touching each other when they are at rest...something they never did before, so I too was a big mouth breather! But not anymore. :) Yay, isn't surgery fun!